Commercial properties use different types of materials for their roofs, one of which is modified bitumen. It was first used in Europe in the early 1960s and in the US in the mid-1970s. Today, it remains one of the top choices for flat and low-sloped roofing.
What is Modified Bitumen?
Modified bitumen roofing in Columbus, Ohio is composed of polymer modified bitumen reinforced with one or more layers of fabric. This could be polyester, glass fiber, or a combination of both. This type of roofing can be installed using conventional methods such as hot or cold application or self-adhered.
You can choose from two types of modified bitumen membranes:
- Atactic Polypropylene (APP) – This type of modified bitumen roofing is a thermoplastic polymer that is either heat-welded or torch-applied. It is known to give asphalt a plastic-like quality.
- Styrene Butadiene Styrene (SBS) – This type of modified bitumen roof is installed using cold adhesive or hot moppings of asphalt. It may also come with adhesive backing. Modified bitumen SBS conveys a rubber-like appearance.
Modified bitumen is manufactured in factories and sold in sheets. It is specially made to have equal thickness and physical properties throughout the entire sheet. A finished roofing membrane can have one or several bitumen sheets, but it can also have a combination of built-up roofing felts and one or more modified bitumen sheets.
Why Choose Bitumen Roofing?
Modified bitumen is recommended for commercial roofing in Columbus, Ohio and the nearby areas because of the following features:
- Longevity – This type of roofing can last up to 20 years without the need for too much maintenance.
- Strength – Both types of modified bitumen roofing can withstand both high and low temperatures due to polymer modification. The number of sheets also improves durability.
- Waterproof – The adhesives used to attach modified bitumen provide protection against water damage.
- Energy efficient – This type of roofing material comes with an insulating layer that limits the flow of heat throughout the system.
Modified bitumen roofs keep your business protected from the elements and save you money on energy consumption. To make sure that it is installed properly, hire expert installers like Kerrigan Roofing & Restoration. We are an Ohio home improvement company that specializes in modified bitumen and other commercial roofing materials. As a GAF Master Elite™ contractor, you can be sure you’ll get the highest quality materials for your commercial property.
If you want to learn more about modified bitumen, schedule a meeting today. You can fill out our contact form and we’ll be happy to give you a free inspection.